5.05.2006

A little patch no one is talking about...

Last night a slick little patch was released. In it, one new fix (of many) will be particularly interesting for those of you who are frustrated with how you report on cases and solutions. You can now report on cases and solutions as one combined attribute.

Previously, before this patch, there was no reporting ability to combine Case attributes with Solution attributes. So you could never do a "Cases with Solutions" report reporting and segmenting on custom field on both cases and solutions together.

This patch lets you do all sorts of cool crazy stuff.... well, "cool and crazy" assuming you use cases and solutions.

Why we don't make more noise about these usability fixes when they come out, I'll never know. There should be a changelog available to all customers. It'd be in the help. Any user could see all enhancements and changes that impact the end user experience in any way. Each patch would be dated. This seems like such an obvious thing to do, it drives me nuts. I assume usability fixes don't happen until major releases... That means that I might miss this usability fix unless I happen to try and do something I wasn't able to do 2 days ago. But if I saw that in a changelog, I'd know about it. Wouldn't that be cool? I think so.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kingsley Joseph said...

... or maybe there'd be a usability blog where users can see all the cool stuff we are playing with and provide feedback.

Hey, I can be a tease too ;)

5/05/2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger omega said...

See, that's a great idea. :) I'm definitely adding that to my list of things that I'd like us to do differently as a "revolutionary" on-demand company!

I hit refresh on the CRM success blog a dozen times today waiting for news about this particular patch. It's as close as we come today.

5/05/2006 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It blows my mind they are just getting around to this now... it's been a standard feature in other competitors software for years...

5/07/2006 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duhh... every software application in the entire universe should have a change log. It would just be another marketing too (wake-up benioff) to able to say that SFDC (or company X) is communicating with their customer base.

I get patches and updates all the time and ALWAYS wonder "What did that patch do? What's fixed now? What can I do now that I couldn't do before"....

5/08/2006 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home